March 15, 2012 § Leave a comment
Our latest display highlights the books we have that deal with Easter, and the events that surrounded it.
Inspiration: Not quite sure what I wanted to do, I asked one of our student workers, “Jenny, what should the topic for the next display be?” She answered, “Easter!” I thought that was a good idea, given the time of year, and the fact that we would have lots of books on that topic. One thing that can either be good or bad, depending how you look at it – having a seasonal display kind of forces you to stay on top of your displays and create new ones after the season has passed.
Book Selection: I searched our catalog with words like “crucifixion,” “resurrection,” and “Last Supper.” That led me to plenty of books with attractive covers that I could use for the display. Here are the books I used.
- Christ in the Passover by Ceil and Moishe Rosen
- Last Supper and the Lord’s Supper by I. Howard Marshall
- Passover Haggadah: A Messianic Celebration by Eric-Peter Lipson
- No Wonder they Call Him the Savior: Chronicles of the Cross by Max Lucado
- Fracture: The Cross as Irreconcilable in the Language and Thought of the Biblical Writers by Roy A. Harrisville
- Resurrection: The Origin and Future of a Biblical Doctrine by James H. Charlesworth
- The Resurrection of the Son of God by N.T. Wright
- Beyond Resurrection by A. J. M. Wedderburn
- The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus by Gary R. Habermas and Michael R. Licona
- The Resurrection of Jesus: History, Experience, Theology by Gerd Ludemann
- Witness the Passion: Discover the Hope, Embrace the Power, Experience the Grace Through Eyewitness Accounts of Those Who Were There by Richard Exley
- Seven Words of Love by Herbert Lockyer
- And the Angels Were Silent by Max Lucado
- Six Hours One Friday: Anchoring To the Power of the Cross by Max Lucado
- Crucifixion in Antiquity: An Inquiry into the Background of the New Testament Terminology of Crucifixion by Gunnar Samuelsson
- The Passion of Our Lord by Erich H. Kiehl
- On A Friday Noon: Meditations Under the Cross by Hans-Ruedi Weber
- The Last Week: A Day-by-Day Account of Jesus’s Final Week in Jerusalem by Marcus J. Borg and John Dominic Crossan
- The Christian Holy Days: The Biblical Account of Christmas, Passion Week, Easter, Ascension, and Pentecost by Larry D. Edwards
- The Final Week of Jesus: Highlights from And the Angels Were Silent by Max Lucado
- The Trials of Christ: The Moral Failures of Those Who Judged Jesus by John Gilmore
- Crucify Him: A Lawyer Looks at the Trial of Jesus by Dale M. Foreman
- The Trial of Jesus of Nazareth by S. G. F. Brandon
- The Passion of Jesus Christ by John Piper
- The Murder of Jesus by John MacArthur
- Joy Comes in the Morning: The Glorious Victory of the Resurrection by Don Anderson
- Jesus’ Resurrection: Fact or Figment?: A Debate Between William Lane Craig and Gerd Ludemann by Paul Copan
- The Resurrection Report by William Proctor
- Meditations on the Cross by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Biblical Preaching on the Death of Jesus by William A. Beardslee
- The Splendor of Easter by Floyd Thatcher
- The Case for Easter by Lee Strobel
- Jesus and Easter: Did God Raise the Historical Jesus from the Dead? by Willi Marxsen
- Knowing the Truth About the Resurrection: Our Response to the Empty Tomb by William Lane Craig
Creating the Actual Display: This was a very basic display and didn’t take a lot of extra time or effort. I had so many books that I didn’t bother with a large sign, just a normal 8½x11 with the words, “For God So Loved the World.” I arranged the books on the different tiers, with rough categories grouped together – Holy Week, Last Supper, Jesus’ trial, the crucifixion, and the resurrection.
Cost for the Entire Display: Nothing! Easy, fast, and cheap.